VIDEO: How to make a winter layer cake
Cold and snowy–these words sum up a typical winter around Conant. To celebrate the cool tones of the season, try baking this icy, wintery layer cake.
- The food coloring I was using was Wilton’s Color Right System. The number of drops you need to add to the cake mix may differ based on what type of food coloring you use.
- If you don’t want to add a full drop of food coloring, you can dip a toothpick into the food coloring and smear it through the cake batter. This will help you make more subtle adjustments to the color.
- Make sure the cakes are completely cool before you apply any whipped cream. If they are too hot, the whipped cream will melt.
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 2 1-pint cartons of heavy cream
- 2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons Sugar
Whipped Cream Procedure:
- Pour the cartons of heavy cream into a large bowl.
- Whisk or beat with an electric mixer on medium.
- Once the heavy cream develops a layer of bubbles, add the vanilla and sugar.
- Continue whisking or beating until the whipped cream becomes stiff.
- Taste test the whipped cream. If it is not sweet enough, mix in more sugar.