VIDEO: How to decorate cakes with whipped cream
Store-bought cakes often use sweet and heavy frosting, whether it is cream cheese frosting, buttercream, or something just as rich. However, this does not appeal to everyone’s taste buds. For those of you who prefer a lighter taste while still having a presentable cake, here is a tutorial on how to decorate a cake with whipped cream.
Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 pint of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pour heavy cream into a large bowl.
- Whisk or beat with an electric mixer on medium.
- Once the heavy cream develops a layer of bubbles,add the vanilla and sugar.
- Continue whisking or beating until the whip cream becomes stiff.
- Taste test the whipped cream. If it is not sweet enough just mix in more sugar.
- An easy way to get a moist cake is by using a cake box mix. The instructions are clearly stated on the back and doable for even the most beginner of bakers.
- Make sure the cake is completely cooled before icing it. Otherwise, you’ll have one messy puddle on your hands.
- Place the cake in a flattened cake box and then decorate. If you decorate the cake first and then try to move it, it’s probably not going to be pretty.
- I used candy melts to create my cake topper. Simply, microwave the candy melts in a Ziploc bag for 30 second intervals. After each interval take the bag out and knead it. Then cut a corner of the Ziploc bag and pipe the candy melts onto a parchment sheet. Wait for it to cool and harden before using. The following are some ideas for candy melt cake toppers and decorations:
- Words, like the ‘Thank You’ topper, are simple and effective.
- 2D patterns are also good cake decorators. If you can draw it, you can pipe it.
- If you want a real challenge, make a 3D cake topper. For example, 3D flowers and butterflies make good decorations.
- Michaels is a good place to buy many baking tools such as cake boxes, piping bags, icing tips, and candy melts.
- Here’s a suggestion for those of you who really want to make your cake extra special. Cut the cake in half horizontally and put a layer of whipped cream and strawberries in between.