DIY Valentine’s Day cards
Valentine’s Day is an opportunity for displaying affection and appreciation for your loved ones. Valentine cards are a classic gift for anyone in your life, and handmade cards are even more meaningful. Here are a few easy, fun card ideas that will make perfect gifts for your friends and family.
Simple Heart Cut-Out Card
Materials: Pencil, scissors, colored construction paper, cardstock, glue/tape
- Fold a piece of colored construction paper in half, draw half a heart at the crease, and cut along the drawn line.
- Set aside the cut out heart piece, and unfold the the construction paper.
- Glue or tape the unfolded construction paper onto a piece of white cardstock.
- Using a different colored piece of construction paper, cut out a smaller sized heart (using the method in step 1).
- Glue or tape the small heart in the middle of the heart cut out on the card.
Materials: construction paper, scissors, glue, cardstock
- Gather a few different colors of construction paper.
- Fold the papers in half and and cut out the outline of half a heart.
- Use scissors to resize the hearts, making them various sizes.
- Arrange the hearts on a piece of cardstock to your liking.
- Glue down the pieces.
Materials: Paper, pencil, yarn, toothpick, safety pin, marker
- Pick a piece of cardstock in the color of your choice.
- Draw a heart on the paper, placing evenly spaced dots along the perimeter.
- Using a safety pin or toothpick, poke a hole in each dot along the edge of the heart. Be careful not to prick your finger.
- Pick yarn in the color of your choice.
- Starting from any dot along the edge, begin threading the yarn through the holes. I suggest using a toothpick to aid in passing the yarn through each hole.
- Continue threading the yarn, bringing it from the front to back of the card, and crossing the middle of the heart to connect opposite holes.
- Once each dot has been connected and threaded, tie the two ends of the yarn in the back.
- Write a Valentine’s Day message or greeting on the front, next to the heart.
Painted, Stenciled Heart Card
Materials: Paper, cardstock, pencil, paint, paint brush, glitter glue
- Begin by cutting a heart shaped stencil from thick paper or cardstock; this will act as a stencil for painting.
- Choose a color of your preference as the background of your card.
- Lay the heart stencil on a piece of paper, and begin painting over and across the stencil. This technique allows for the paint to be spread from the edges of the stencil, outward.
- Once you have acquired the general heart shape, remove the stencil and paint the entirety of the paper in the base color.
- Write a Valentine’s Day message on the inside the of the heart.
- For additional decoration, trace the border of the heart with silver or gold glitter glue.